Saturday, February 09, 2008

An Architect's Painful Memory

We once had a dog for about a week, an adult dog, gave him a great dog name -- "Dante" -- got him the requisite shots and tags, and started to get to know him. But it became quite obvious that we wouldn't be able to keep him. Just as BalticTiger left to return Dante, she handed me the dog's leash and tags, and asked me to store them away someplace where she wouldn't find them before a fair amount of time had passed. You see, she was crying when she said this, and didn't want to be reminded of the dog for a while afterwards.

I tell you that... to tell you this:

This morning, BalticTiger was going through boxes of stuff we'd forgotten we had, because she was going to donate it to the local charity. Over the years, she's said again and again that if we really needed something in storage, we would have hunted it down among all the boxes. That we didn't after a couple years had passed, meant that we could do without.

Walking through our garage, which was being used this morning by BalticTiger as sort-through-the-valuable-junk headquarters, she held up a drawing and asked me, "do you want to keep this?"


It was a drawing of an exterior elevation of a gorgeous house I designed nearly three years ago. I hadn't given much thought to the house since then, as the memories were still too painful.
You see, the house, as displayed on this stunning drawing, was never built. For a few seconds, I was looking at it through fresh eyes, and during that first glance didn't immediately recognize it as my own. Oh! My! God! was this drawing beautiful! Then like a dagger through my heart, I recognized it as The Best Thing I Ever Designed That Never Got Built.

So I present to you, The Drawing...

You can click on the drawing to see it much larger. It may not all make sense to you, but to me it's SO GOOD it hurts to look at.


Update: By popular demand (by my buddy, Slow_Moe, who's the most popular guy I know and also pretty demanding), I'll post the other exterior elevations and the first floor plan. Enjoy, you bastard!

First Floor Plan

Northeast Elevation

Southeast Elevation

Northwest Elevation

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That would make a great Club Hypoxia World Headquarters, huh? Do you have other views I could look at?

8:56 AM, February 10, 2008  
Blogger Howard said...

Yeah, of course I have all four exteriors plus the three floor plans and roof plan. Heck, I did the entire construction documents package and we even got a building permit! Just never built it.

I'll post the other exterior elevations and maybe the first floor plan, which is pretty awesome.

You really want me to hurt real good, doncha?!

8:46 PM, February 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is indeed gorgeous, Howard.

12:27 PM, February 12, 2008  
Blogger SiouxGeonz said...

Hey, once you've been jabbed... then it's just 'weakness leaving the body,' right?
Remember, you like pain!
{{Howard}}}} {{{{{Howard}} {{{{{{Howard}}}}}
There ya go, there's a... what kind of hug is that? the three-fer? What culture does that? (I suppose very well-endowed women might, the first two forages being how you figure out where to plant them...)

2:02 PM, February 13, 2008  
Blogger Howard said...

Yeah, Howard likes pain. Right. Except for his manly ability to crumble into total uselessness and utter dependency when he's ill, Howard is pretty good at "managing" self-imposed pain due to anaerobic exertion. That's all. Now about that strangely arousing virtual triple-hug...

3:39 PM, February 14, 2008  
Blogger Pansy Palmetto said...

Well it is OBVIOUS what is wrong with this "house". It will never be built because you don't have any Statue of Liberty outdoor post lights going on! I recommend one (1) SOL post light every 18 inches.

These LOVELY lights can be seen at a home just down the street from me as well as this larger version at:

http://www.ecofriend.org/entry/statue-of-liberty-solar-light-symbolizing-the-power-of-alternative-energy-in-saving-our-planet


Of course, their 4-foot ugliness does nothing for saving us from stabbing out our eyes with forks.

2:49 PM, February 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home