Friday, February 06, 2009

I Tried, I Really Tried!

Everybody remembers their first.

For me, in 1978, I went door to door politicking and canvassing for the first time in my life. I don't even remember the name of the Democratic congressional candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from Wyoming [okay, it was Bill Bailey.]

But I do remember why I was participating -- because his opponent was Dick Cheney, the nastiest piece of work to enter Wyoming politics since the Teapot Dome Scandal of 1921-23.
Look it up, I'll wait...

Anyway, as I recall, Cheney won handily, and during his terms as Wyoming's one and only congressman, he was The Most Extreme Conservative* in all the land. After that, it just went downhill from there.


Keith Olbermann's current advice for Cheney? Leave! Just leave!


*He voted against Martin Luther King Day, against creating the Department of Education, against Head Start, in favor of apartheid in South Africa, and voted against a non-binding resolution calling on South Africa to release Nelson Mandela from prison.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home