Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Chilly, Grim, & Somber -- Just Lucky, I Guess

Today's bike ride was 40.2 miles--my longest of the new year--due to temperatures in the low 40s--the warmest of the new year. I took a number of "mood" photos today. And though by the introductory sentence you might guess that the mood was happy, optimistic, and cheery, the photos came out chilly, grim, and somber. Just lucky as a photographer, I guess. After all, it is still only January -- barely one month into the winter season. As usual, click on the photos to enlarge and enliven them.

The Poudre River has escaped its icy tomb (as previously shown at this blog in photographs about a week ago.) And although I took many pictures today of the actual river water flowing and burbling merrily along, I chose to show this interesting ice crystal composition instead. I've never seen ice frozen quite like this before. While I was taking pictures, chunks of the frozen ice were calving back into the river much like a melting glacier sinks back into an ocean due to global warming... if you believe in that sort of stuff.

Okay, okay, here's a sort-of-picture of the Poudre River, but only hidden behind rusty railings and my Fuji Touring Beater, now protected by new fenders front and back. I love my new fenders. Gives the old Beater a sort of retro look that it deserves. They also keep things dry and clean.

Just a crumbling, dilapidated, abandoned house alongside a county road. Not a metaphor for our State of the Union. And definitely NOT one of my design masterpieces. Though that dangling window frame could inform my future work.

Turn-around point: A county road heading back to the northern edge of town, which is about 10 miles away. My home is another 10 miles beyond that. Remember: Total miles today -- 40.2.

Horses in corrals. Colorado horses. How can one tell they're Colorado horses? Extra robust, outdoorsy, and in good physical fitness.

Colorado trees. How can one tell they're Colorado trees? Extra robust, outdoorsy, and in good physical fitness. Also, they're in Colorado.

Colorado bicyclist. How can one tell he's a Colorado bicyclist? Extra robust, outdoorsy, and in good physical fitness. Also, he's a smart ass.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the longest ride of the year so far! I see a lot of bare ground in your photos - are the roads that clear north of Ft. Collins? I'm trying to figure out a route for my January century. Maybe I should head north!

deadhead

9:54 AM, January 24, 2007  
Blogger Howard said...

Bare ground is what my best girl commented on too. However, many photos taken yet unshown here show plenty of snowy-ness. The major roads and county roads, however, are clear as can be. A century ride north from your chunk of the county would be ideal, I would think. Let me know when and where you plan to ride, and I'll join you... at least for some portion of your century. You have my email...

10:39 AM, January 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home